Masale Bhat is a traditional Maharashtrian dish that is a staple in many Maharashtrian households. It is a fragrant and flavorful rice dish that is made using a special spice blend called Goda Masala, along with other aromatic spices like bay leaves, cardamom, and cloves.
Masale Bhat is not only delicious but also nutritious. The use of vegetables in the dish provides a variety of nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals, while the Goda Masala spice blend offers several health benefits like aiding digestion, boosting immunity, and reducing inflammation.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 2-3 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (potatoes, carrots, green peas)
- 2 tablespoons Goda Masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Step-by-Step Recipe :
- Rinse the rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in enough water for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee or oil in a large pan or pressure cooker. Add bay leaf, cloves, cardamom pods, and cinnamon stick, and sauté for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the mixed vegetables and sauté for a few minutes until they are slightly cooked.
- Add Goda Masala and salt to taste, and mix well.
- Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pan or pressure cooker. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until the rice is coated with spices and vegetables.
- Add 2 cups of water and stir gently. If using a pressure cooker, close the lid and cook for 1-2 whistles. If using a pan, cover it with a tight-fitting lid and cook on low heat for about 15-20 minutes, until the rice is cooked and all the water has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let it sit covered for 5-10 minutes. Fluff up the rice with a fork.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot with raita.
Its nutritional value, Masale Bhat also has cultural significance in Maharashtrian cuisine. It is often served at special occasions like weddings, festivals, and other celebrations. Many families have their own variations of the recipe, which have been passed down through generations. Overall, Masale Bhat is a flavorful and nutritious dish that is a beloved part of Maharashtrian cuisine.
Enjoy your delicious Masale Bhat!